The Best of the smallest dogs in the world
- Small dogs are extremely popular for importante reasons. First, they are considered portable,meaning they can fit in little carriers . In general, they require little space and many do well in cramped homes and apartments.
- Most of all, these little ones are absolutely adorable! What other reason do you need?
- all type of dog comes with challange. A little dog can be as much of a handful as any other dog.
- Small dogs make up for their size with huge personalities, which means they will benefit from a special approach to training.
- Also, don’t let the small size fool you: little dogs still need plenty of exercise and activities.
- Little dogs need less food. It always costs less money to board a small dog. Many dog supplies, like leashes and collars, will cost less when they are tiny.
- Veterinary services are usually the same cost for all sizes, but medications and preventive products are often significantly less expensive for small dogs than for large dogs.
- If the a small dog is right for you, check out this list of the most popular small dog .
- You don’t have to go to a breeder for a small dog, though. If you desire a specific breed, you can contact local breed-specific rescue groups.
- Otherwise, your local animal shelters and pet rescues have plenty of small mixed breed dogs
- One of the most popular of all dog , the Yorkshire Terrier is a favorite among fans of small dog .
- This nice little dog is known for its blue and tan colored silky long hair.
- The Yorkie is the quintessential “purse dog,” rarely touching the ground and often seen with a bow in its hair.
- But becarful, this is not a wimpy dog. The Yorkie makes up for its small stature with a huge personality.
- Believe it or not, this breed can be quite the watchdog, vocally alerting you to the goings-on around the house.
- However, the Yorkie is not really cut out to do a job; this breed is meant to be an affectionate companion
- Another highly popular dog , the Dachshund is a little hound beloved.
- The Dachshund has many nicknames: doxie, wiener dog, sausage dog, hotdog, etc.
- Of course, they mostly relate to the breeds distinct appearance. With its short, stubby legs and a long, round body, the Dachshund is easy to spot.
- Dachshunds are seen in standard or miniature size, the latter is ideal for the small dog enthusiast.
- This breed comes in three coat types: smooth, long or wire. The Dachshund is sweet and affectionate to its trusted family members but can be a bit wary of strangers.
- However, once you fall for this little cutie, you’ll never go back.
- The Poodle is a popular dog that is known for its tight curls and specific haircut
- The breed has a rich history as a favorite of the aristocracy. Poodles have also been known as entertaining performers.
- Possibly due to its fancy and dainty appearance, many people don’t realize that the Poodle is a highly intelligent dog.
- maby one reason the breed is so popular is that it comes in three sizes: toy, miniature, and standard.
- The standard is a medium to large-sized dog, but the miniature and standard are ideal for one seeking a small dog. Plus,
- much to the delight of their enthusiasts, the smaller Poodles are known for their longevity.
# Shih Tzu
- The Shih Tzu is yet highly popular dog . This member of the toy breed group is basically the poster child for lap dogs,
- which is no surprise since the breed originated strictly as a companion.
- The Shih Tzu is a small dog with long, silky hair that often includes a bow.
- However, many owners like to keep the coat trimmed to a shorter length that is easier to maintain.
- The Shih Tzu is a pampered pet with an alert and confident disposition.
- Yet, despite its size, the breed is actually quite hardy and can hold its own.
# Miniature Schnauzer
- The miniatur Schnauzer is an energetic small dog with a friendly but tough personality.
- Easily recognized by its signature bearded haircut, this Terrier has remained among the most popular dog breeds for many years.
- The Miniature Schnauzer has a real sense of loyalty and protectiveness towards its family.
- This is also known to be a “barky” breed and needs a solid foundation of training. However, this active Terrier can make a wonderful companion.
- Chihuahuas are some of the world’s tiniest dogs, but they have some of the biggest personalities.
- These small dogs are often seen being toted around in the designer bags of some celebrities. Their hair coats may be smooth or long.
- While lovable and loyal, Chihuahuas are also highly active and sassy dogs with major “tough dog” attitudes.
- These are great dogs, but they are not for everyone. However, with serious training and socialization, the Chihuahua can make a wonderful companion.
- Cute as a button and sweet as candy, it’s no surprise that the Pug is a popular dog breed.
- These little round dogs are jovial and playful souls. Pugs were even once the pets of royalty and the companions of Tibetan monks.
- Despite their reputation for breathing problems and eye issues, Pugs make delightful pets.
- Affectionate, energetic and even-tempered, they can be a lovely match for nearly anyone.
- It has been said that the Pug is many in a small spac and this is the rigt.
- Pugs are active yet compact dogs that make wonderful companions for all kinds of families.
- The Pomeranian looks like a cross between a stuffed animal and a tiny lion.
- Its look long, fluffy coat and bright personality make this an unforgettable dog.
- Poms are energetic and sometimes bossy small dogs with an intense loyalty to their loved ones.
- Owners of Poms need to take special care to ensure that their dogs do not gain the upper hand.
- This may be easier said than done, though.
- It’s not easy to say no to that adorable smiling ball of fluff! These are precious dogs, but they are not for everyone.
- Poms are great for people who want a small lap dog that also has the energy to run and play, and a bit of strong-willed spirit.
# Boston Terrier
- The Boston Terrier is cheerful, smart, loyal and even-tempered–a true pleasure to be around.
- One of the more popular dog and a true all-American dog, the dog originates from the crossing of an English Bulldog with a white English Terrier.
- The result was a dog that would eventually become known as the Boston Terrier (named after the city in which it was created).
- Bostons are playful and energetic, also they love to spend time in their owner’s laps, too. Overall, this dog makes an excellent companion.
- The Maltese are a soft little white dog with a gentle also brave disposition. At under seven pounds,
- this toy dog is often seen as a “purse pooch,” something these dogs lovely enjoy.
- The Maltese are a playful and energetic dog that bonds closely with its owner.
- The dog can be traced back to ancient times, where it was the beloved companion of royalty and nobility.
- Today’s Maltese is just as pampered and is also relatively popular. While this dog can be vocal and prissy and times,
- the Maltese is a brave short breed that is tougher than it looks!